BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Volunteering!!


Volunteering most definitely pays off! As I am currently still in high school, I need forty hours of community service in order to graduate. Many or even most people wait until the last minute to get their forty hours finished but of course not everyone! For instance, as soon as I started grade nine, I started volunteering at my church with their special events. But it didn`t suffise for me because I was eager to volunteer so my cousin who is a recreational therapiste at the Whitby Mental Health Centre or well actually now it's called the Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences, got me a volunteering position at the age of 14 when in reality to volunteer at the Whitby Mental Health Centre, you must be at least 16 and even then it's hard enough to get in. But thanks to my cousin I was able to get in. I had put in so many hours that I was awarded at their yearly appreciation dinner, the most hours for a student and my hours for one year was 166. That's a lot considering it was the same year I had started my job. I loved helping out though. All the bingo games, the outings, the dances, and talking with all the seniors (even though many of them scared me). It was an amazing experience and thanks to that I was to get a grant for 500 dollars to go towards my schooling! So volunteering pays off in more then one way because I got a lot of experience that can help me get a new job and it helps me get grants and such for college next year!

0 comments: